Thursday, July 29, 2010

Shanghai : Round One






Shanghai seems to be at the center of the world right now. Ok, that might be a bit ego-centric, but with the FIFA World Cup over and the WORLD EXPO 2010 in full swing, this international city of more then 16 million is buzzing ( and its not just the traffic horns).


I will be coming back to Shanghai in a couple of weeks and I thought to focus on the EXPO then, as my conclusion to CHINA. This first go was full of other activities.

I spent an afternoon at Urban planning Museum of Shanghai. I have actually never seen such a museum, even though I feel every large city should have one. Shanghai has had so much development in recent decades, It is great to see how the city has been put together.

Shanghai is home to the third Tallest building in the world, and I paid a visit (along with Cal Poly) to the 94th floor. The elevator pushes vertical at the speed of almost 100ft per sec. The weather prevented expansive views of the city, but we still were afforded a close look at the neighboring Jinmao Tower.

I also visited some art galleries near the BUND. Architect Kengo Kuma had an exhibition on some experimental architecture. He was working with a new material, essentially a membrane to create inflatable cells, or as he calls it"Air Bricks." Then connecting the cells with a continuous vein pumping air to create volume.

Shanghai has a clear international background. One side of the river contains classic architecture from the colonial period built by french and English colonialist, while the other side contains modern High rises and Skyscrapers. I know there is much more to see here, and the second stay is well deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment